January 2013

Wednesday, May 26, 2010

The Bees

The Bees act strangely here in Sacramento.

A few weeks ago, I was walking along the sidewalk when I came upon this:


It was so odd. There, in the middle of the sidewalk, for no apparent reason, a pile of bees. There wasn't a sweet spot they were collecting around, like flies, or a nest underground. There was nothing there, but they were busy buzzing in circle, congregated and flying around the spot and trailing off a bit. 

I came back later and found the bees gone. There were a few dead ones on the ground, squashed, probably from the local business owner, but other than that, no trace. Nothing on the ground to suggest why the bees acted like that. 

So, a few weeks later, today, I'm walking back to my apartment and as I approach the intersection, I see a swarm of bees flying around the intersection. Bizarre. There were masses of them, a great cloud concentrated in the middle of the intersection, being hit by cars and buzzing around. There was no place you could see them flying out of, no nest that had been disturbed, just bees - everywhere! People had to cross the intersection right through the swarm, it's amazing no one was stung. 

I ran to my apartment, grabbed my camera and ran back to the site. By then, just a few minutes later, the swarm had moved up, away from the cars, creating a cloud just above the intersection, with a few low-flyers.  Here's what it looked like:


See the intersection...




And the bees!



Masses of them. 




It was very Alfred Hitchcock, with insects.

No comments:

Post a Comment